Monday, January 19, 2009

 

Ah-choo!

2009 is off to a great start. On the 3rd, I got the first cold I've had in five years and it won't. go. away. I did find an old recipe book belonging to my mother's mother, and it includes these cold remedies:

For cold
1 heaping teaspoon lard
1/2 teaspoon turpentine
Pinch of camphor gum size of end of finger

Cough remedy
4 oz. whiskey
1/4 oz. laudanum
1/4 oz. licorice
1/4 oz. honey
1 teaspoonful according to frequency of coughing spell

For pneumonia
Pare onions, slice them and chop them. Put in a bag & pound them till juice comes. Put bag in a pie pan & cover. Put in oven till hot, then put on chest & cover with a hot flannel. Keep on 5 hrs.

I think I'll stick with Vicks.

Comments:
Maybe I can dig up mom's old chicken soup recipe. I'm reasonably certain the "Jewish Penicillin" ingredients were turpentine free. Feel better!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?