Sunday, July 20, 2008

 

"The place is crawlin' with crackheads & debutantes -- and most of 'em play for the Cowboys."

The quote above is from Hank Hill of King of the Hill, and he's talking about Dallas.

Remember I mentioned the music playing at my colonoscopy? Well, it was prescient; I found out later that day that my job is going to relocate to Dallas.

Funny, I thought having a tube shoved up my ass first thing in the morning would be the worst thing to happen to me that day. Obviously, I was wrong.

I've been trying to have a sunny attitude; I've been gathering all the info, checking out the forums on City Data (a great site, BTW). One poster, relocating from New York to Dallas, even summed up my quest perfectly, "I don't want strip malls. I want old movie theaters, independent bookstores, and a thriving arts community. Help me fall in love with Dallas." I checked out all the suggestions in response. And felt absolutely NOTHING.

To make things worse, my boss - one of the most down-to-earth, charismatic, together people I have ever known -- has decided she's not relocating.

I've lined up all the pros and cons. The cons list is long, the pros list contains only one item, but it's a biggie: Steady employment.

I realized Friday to my surprise that a huge chunk of my objection is not about leaving my entire support system in San Antonio; it's about Dallas itself. A friend had asked me about things to do in Philadelphia. That's when it hit me: I could handle a move to Philadelphia much easier.

I need a place with history.

Let's face it -- the most momentous event in Dallas' history happened only 45 years ago, and it wasn't something to be proud of.

So, I'm job-hunting again, here in San Antonio. Wish me luck. (Besides, while my Spurs are still around, no how no way am I cheering for the Mavs!)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?