Sunday, March 04, 2007

 

Haunted History



I went on a Ghost Tour Friday night. The tour bus was cast in a eerie green light and bedecked with Halloween garlands and "Scream" decorations.

The stories were facscinating. Heartbreaking, such as the tale of the nursemaid at the Spanish Governor's Palace in the early 1800s, who was bound, gagged and thrown down a well as her young charges watched in horror. Or humorous, such as the 90-year-old prankster who teased a biker couple at the Bullis House Bed & Breakfast.

I'm skeptical. I've seen too many things that can't be attributed simply to coincidence. But I draw the line at "ghost photos" (our guide shared several of them at the last stop). To me, they're either evidence of careless photography, or seeing what you want to see -- like finding shapes in clouds, or as Wilson Bryan Key did, finding the word "sex" in liquor ads.


Comments:
I love ghost tours. However, they're only as good as your guide. I've been twice in New Orleans. One time was great and the other not so great. It's all about the guide.
 
You've provided me two full self esteem points, this morning. I actually read Key's book, Subliminal Seduction some [mumble] years ago, when I was in college.

The effort bore no fruit, however, as I found that it was not a how-to guide.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?