Saturday, December 09, 2006

 

Mom


Mom passed away Thursday night.

It wasn't just a reaction to medication. The doctors found another blockage (not cancer), and they hoped to work it out without surgery. She was doing great -- getting broth and juice, walking the hospital halls for exercise -- until late Thursday afternoon. Her blood pressure dropped dramatically, too far for the doctors to bring her back without significant liver, kidney and brain damage. It was almost as if her body said, "My work here is done."

She went quickly and peacefully, surrounded by her family.

I've never known anyone so loving and giving. She approached every challenge with strength, grace and humor. She never offered unsolicited advice, but any advice she gave was right on target. And as one of my friends said, "She exemplified everything a mother should be."

So, in honor of Mom, please remember what she said to us as she sent us off to school each day: "If someone needs a smile, honey, give them yours."

Comments:
I'm so sorry.
 
Peggy, I am so, so aorry. Words can never convey it, but I am trying. Please let me know if you need a gluten-free care package. Seriously.

Take care of yourself, my dear.
 
Oh, thank you both for your kind words! Your support means so much right now.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?