Sunday, June 04, 2006

 

Put a Cork in It

My sister describes my decorating taste the best: "Y'know, Peg, you've got a lot of weird stuff. But for you, it works."

The sourpuss who used to live downstairs also described it. She once stopped by to complain that the mold on her walls was my fault (disputed by not one, but two contractors). She took a look at my entryway and sniffed, "Well, we're not afraid of color, are we?" (If it were fuchsia or orange, I'd understand. But it's chocolate brown, practically a neutral! Bitch.)

OK, I'll admit -- not everyone has a gallery of weird newspaper headlines (Mom-in-law Slain; Hatchet Killer Thought She was Large Raccoon)or a bouquet of maracas from around the world (I've traveled a lot, and I have a brown thumb, so sue me). My tastes are eclectic. But now sales reps are bringing it up. Isn't that against the sales rep code?

Here's the deal: I need a new kitchen floor. I had no idea what I wanted until I went to a flooring place yesterday. Cork. I want cork. I want cork that looks like a burled-wood version of my antique dining room table.

And I found it.

And every single sales rep I've talked to about it agrees that it's wonderful flooring, but...
"It's not for everyone."
"You must have bold tastes."
"Really? Well... that's... unusual."

I'm ready to tie a sweater around my head and pretend I'm Edie Beale.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?