Saturday, April 08, 2006

 

June

A friend of mine calls my mother "June." It's not her name, but it fits. She embodies the qualities of the best Junes: June Cleaver, as a woman whose light is her home and family, and June Allyson, because she's just so darn cute and perky. I'll also throw June Foray into the mix; Mom has that earnest, plucky Rocket J. Squirrel tone of voice.

Mom's having cancer surgery Monday. It's big. Very big. She'll be in the hospital for 7 - 10 days, and recovering for 6 - 8 weeks afterward. Upon hearing her treatment options, she seemed to lose a little of her optimism, but she's now thinking of her hospital stay like a teenager at a slumber party. Who else would say, "Since the doctor decided against radiation, I can get a perm before I go!" --?

Comments:
She can beat this, as long as she keeps up that kind of spirit. But she'll need you, because cancer treatment at her level is rough.

I'll keep her in my prayers.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?