Thursday, November 17, 2005

 

Goodbye Earl

San Antonio landmark Earl Abel's is closing. The building will be razed and replaced by a 25-story condo. During my college days, I spent many late nights and early, early mornings there, talking with friends, taking a break from all-nighters and chowing down on fried chicken, mashed potatoes with cream gravy and chocolate icebox pie. Restaurants like this don't exist anymore and haven't since the early 1960s. Picture red leather banquettes and waitresses with beehive hairdos, thick-soled shoes and plenty of attitude. At Earl Abel's, that retro feel wasn't a gimmick. It wasn't even meant to be retro; it was just Earl's. Nearly all the foods on their menu are off-limits to me now, but I think I'll stop by before it closes for a plate of mashed potatoes (sans cream gravy) and a slice of attitude.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?