Thursday, November 24, 2005

 

Bountiful

:::satisfied sigh::: What a lovely holiday! I'm just now coming out of my food coma, happy and oh-so-thankful for the people in my life.

Two years ago, just a couple weeks before what The Food Whore rightly calls The Most Adored Food Holiday in All the Land, I was diagnosed with celiac disease. Stuffing, green bean casserole, rolls, gravy, pumpkin pie? All off-limits. Not only could I not eat what I wanted to, I was still too new to cooking gluten-free foods. Not the healthy stuff -- but the creamy, gooey comfort foods required for a family Thanksgiving. I couldn't even bring the variety of homemade breads that I made every year. So I concocted a wild rice/cranberry/hazelnut dish at the last minute and pictured myself picking at a bare slice of turkey and drooling over the pies. But my family "got it." Immediately. Mom thickened the gravy with cornstarch and brought me a "special" pumpkin pie (no crust). My sister whipped up the mashed potatoes with gluten-free sour cream. (She actually read the label!) And they all snarfed up my casserole.

Fast-forward two years. They still "get it." Boy, do they ever "get it." I had to laugh when I saw all the dishes lined up on the buffet. You wouldn't even know that one of our throng required a special diet. Almost everything was creamy, gooey, comforting -- and gluten-free! Each time I express my gratitude, they shrug and say, "It's family. Why wouldn't we do this for you?" Yeah, I'm truly blessed. I'm surrounded by people I love, who love me, and make me feel safe and secure. How can I ever be thankful enough?

My contributions to the meal? Three types of homemade breads, an autumn vegetable gratin [with a few recipe modifications] and polenta-sausage stuffing. And again they snarfed it all up.

That concludes the sentimental portion of the blogcast. Now on to the holiday fun:

Have a safe & happy Thanksgiving!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?