Sunday, October 09, 2005

 

Azucar, Azucar!

I really like the local college radio station: nothing canned, a real appreciation for roots, and a delicious anticipation of what they'll play next. They were spinning a Celia Cruz song as I was driving to work the other day -- it was brassy, bouncy & bold, and I couldn't help but bop along in the driver's seat. Something about the tune was vaguely familiar, though. I listened a little more closely, and by the time I reached the light, I realized in horror what Cruz was singing: a Spanish cover of "Sugar, Sugar," the Archies' piece o' dreck from 1969. Jeez, I hated that song when it first came out, and I was the audience it was focus-group-tested and laboratory-created for: a cartoon-watching tween. I didn't think that tune could ever be appealing in any way, shape or form. Dang, I hate it when I'm wrong.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?