Sunday, September 18, 2005

 

To sleep, perchance to pay.

Has it really come to this? The Mall of America is opening MinneNAPolis, a place where you can rent a cheesy "environment" and take a nap for 70 cents a minute. This is the second such place in the U.S., the other being in Boca Raton, FL. Both are operated by PowerNap Sleep Centers. The company's website doesn't give me that cozy naptime feeling: loud, annoying music, chaotic design, fuzzy photos of what look like themed bedrooms from the '70s, and worst of all, copy in Comic Sans.

I just don't see the point of the concept. Couldn't you sleep for less in the movie theater? Or save your shopping for when you're well-rested? If I were pooped enough from shopping to take a nap, I think I'd drive home, get my jammies out of the warm dryer, have some hot chocolate (with a splash of Bailey's), and slip between cool, crisp sheets. THAT would be more restful -- and I wouldn't have to worry about someone making off with my wallet while I'm dozing.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?