Sunday, September 25, 2005

 

3 Days of Peace, Love & Traffic Jams

My shoulders, back and legs ache. My blistered feet have matching bone spurs. My clothes are covered with detritus from a cottonwood tree, my sole source of shade. And every exposed inch of my flesh is covered with dirt kicked up by the Texas winds. All I can say is, "DAYUM! THAT WAS FUN!"

Austin City Limits Music Festival ends today, with no ill effects from the hurricane warnings that had gripped us for the past few days. I'd heard the stories about gas & bottled water being unavailable (not entirely true) and that IH-35 was a parking lot. (unconfirmed -- I took the scenic route). Really, the only remnant Austin got from Hurricane Rita was heat. Lots of heat. Strong, intense heat. Did I mention heat? A couple acts couldn't make it due to the weather, but some New Orleans bands were holed up in Austin anyway and were happy to fill in. (Thank you, Iguanas!)

What does one wear or bring to the festival? Answer to both: Just about anything. Tattoos, piercings and batiks were common, as were more serious crimes of fashion. (Gentlemen, please wax your backs. Ladies, if you flunk the pencil test, wear a bra.) My personal favorite was the guy with the Grizzly Adams beard wearing only a cowboy hat and ladies' bikini bottoms (bright pink.) He actually had the figure for them, too.

And, just wondering, guys... what is it about the Allman Brothers' "Whipping Post" that makes all of you burst into air guitar simultaneously?


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?