Saturday, August 27, 2005

 

"She cooks like a college student."

So said Television Without Pity’s Miss Alli in an interview on The Splendid Table recently. She was referring to Sandra Lee, the host of Semi-Homemade Cooking on the Food Network. She’s right – convenience foods and lots of liquor make up most of the menus. But as much as I enjoy snarking on the show, something about it always bothered me. Besides the inedible food, that is.

After reading
Shauna’s blog today, it hit me. The show and its semi-inebriated host have absolutely no love or respect for good food. There’s no joy taken in ripe, juicy fruits or fragrant herbs. There’s nothing fun about the preparation. And the only purpose of having friends over is to get them to ooh and aah over your... ahem...“tablescapes.” Appearance is everything and the whole point of the show is consumerism. Why else would she have a stockpile of KitchenAid mixers (never used) color-coordinated to each week’s theme?

Thank heavens there are shows like The Splendid Table, and sites like Shauna’s (and the ones she mentioned) to show us that good food and good friends don’t need themed kitchens and tablescapes to satisfy our souls.

Comments:
Peggy--

I'm honored that you mentioned me in this context. I truly do love food--every single aspect of it, including scrubbing the blackberry stains off my counter this evening--and I love to share it with people. If you ever come to Seattle, you have to let me know! I'll make you dinner, for sure.

I actually can't watch most of the shows on the food network. Too much show, not enough good food.

Have a great Monday.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?