Monday, August 22, 2005

 

Attitude Inventory

My mother said something surprising the other day: “You know, ever since you went gluten-free, your entire demeanor has changed. You have so much more energy, and you seem happy all the time now.”

Huh. I never really gave my attitude much thought. Shortly after I was diagnosed with celiac disease in late October 2003, my friends asked me if the gluten-free diet helped me feel better. I couldn’t answer; I never felt sick in the first place. Aside from a persistent and – according to my doctor, dangerous – case of anemia, I never had any of the classic symptoms of celiac disease. It was only after six months of tests that the diagnosis became clear.

Considering the adjustments I’ve had to make, my mood should be bleak. Spontaneity has pretty much gone out the window. “Hey, let’s grab a burger and a beer.” Nope – can’t go out to eat without my dining card explaining what I can and can’t have, a couple
Larabars (just in case), and a list of questions for the waitstaff. Because gluten hides in so many things besides bread and pasta – shampoos, lotions, lip balm, toothpaste, seasonings, soups, even juice concentrates – I can’t shop for groceries without reading labels and researching manufacturers. Business travel now involves taking a cooler pack of food and booking a room with a fridge, as “working lunches” usually involve pizza or a boxed lunch from the local deli. And, now that my body has adjusted to being gluten-free, I couldn’t cheat even if I wanted to. Even a little crumb will give me food poisoning symptoms for days.

Mom’s comment forced me to do a little self-evaluation. Although I didn’t think I felt any different, going gluten-free has caused some significant changes in my outlook. The wild mood swings I used to experience almost daily have disappeared. I haven’t had a cold since starting the diet, and I used to get colds at least twice a year. The migraines I used to suffer each month? They visit only about every six months now.

There are other happy adjustments: My friends and I get personal attention from the chef when we go out to eat, and we’ve learned a lot. I love to cook and bake, and I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen. So I can’t make a dozen different types of cookies for the holidays? Fine, I’m great at making truffles & fudge. Some soups and sauces actually taste better thickened with cornstarch or potato starch instead of flour. The new food labeling law going into effect next year means I won’t have to question as many foods that list “natural flavors” or “modified food starch” in the ingredients. Plus, now that all the “firsts” are out of the way – birthdays, holidays, eating out, vacations, business trips, catered events – the diet has become much more manageable.

Adding up the pros and cons, I guess I am doing better. But I may just do myself in trying to create a gluten-free substitute for Mom’s chicken & waffles.

In Related News, sort of…

I love Sarah Vowell’s writing. Her latest book, Assassination Vacation, recounting her tour of presidential assassination venues, resonates with me, because, yes, I can be a ghoul sometimes, and because I had a dad who was in love with American history. Every summer on the car trip from Texas to Pennsylvania and points beyond, we’d stop by historical markers. I’ve seen Ford’s Theatre, I’ve seen Arlington National Cemetery, I’ve seen the railroad platforms and the old Exposition sites. If someone famous lived, died, or slept there, I’ve seen it.

But I also love Sarah Vowell because she’s written about her wheat allergy. In her dead-on description of
Living Without magazine, she’s said exactly everything I’ve thought – only in a funnier and more concise way. Check it out at This American Life. (Go to the archives under 1/9/04 – “Living Without.” It's about 20 minutes in. Enjoy!)

Comments:
Peggy!

Everything you wrote resonated with me, of course. And even though it has only been four months for me, I notice a profound difference in mood. Everything feels more even. Not so much gesticulation. And a deeper happiness. I've never felt better in m life!

And I adore Sarah Vowell. SHe's one of us.

I'm going to work on that waffle thing for you. Can you send me your mom's original recipe? I'm in a food experimentation mood.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?